Thursday, November 4, 2010

CEP 811 Online Teaching and Learning

In the new Michigan Merit Curriculum, with the Online Learning, students now have to take some kind of online course.  This is something that is hard for me to think about because I work with early elementary students.  I believe my part in this is to get students used to the computer and Internet.  I believe that I, as well as the rest of the teachers, need to incoorporate computer and technology into my everyday lessons.  This gets the students familiar and expecting an online learning course in the future. 

I believe that I would be able to start a blog with my students, so that they would get used to interacting with their teacher online over the computer instead of always getting feedback face-to-face.  I feel that this is another way that I could get students ready for an online course that they will take later on in their educational career.  Michigan Merit allows the students to take an online course and break it down to somehow equal 20 hours.  I believe that they should take a complete online course, to get them ready for later on in life.  There are many more online courses at alternative schools, colleges, and other learning opportunities.

At this point in my students' learning careers, I believe it would be very hard to have online classes.  I think that I could work with my students at this age and get them used to blogs and online learning.  However, I don't believe that early elementary students are ready to take full online courses this early in their education.  I feel that they are too novice in their knowledge.

2 comments:

  1. Jackie,
    I agree that online learning can be a difficult concept for elementary teachers. Our studenst don't have the skills to perform such advanced tasks on the computer. However I think that at the elementary level students need to start learning these skills so that they have a firm foundation for when they reach middle and high school. I agree that students should be exposed to technology and computers everyday so they develop a familiarity with interacting with them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree that online learning can be challenging. Students learn in different ways and it is important to introduce them to many ways at an early age in order for them to find what learning styles they will use later in education. It is important to teach students early and to teach them a solid foundation. I agree with you that students need exposure and time to become familiar with online interactions.

    ReplyDelete